People on Reddit and online forums frequently ask “how can I improve as a photographer” or similar questions. My answer changes over time, here is the latest variation:
- Go to your local public library; the 770 section is photography. Check out some books.
- Subscribe to Popular Photography magazine. In print.
- Sign up for a photo workshop or photo class. Here are some workshops I’ve found around the Internet.
- Join a PSA photography club near you, if there is one, or a photography meetup group.
- Do photography as much as you can. Practice makes you better. Go out on a photo walk. Bring your camera to a family event.
- Once you get skilled, splurge on an overnight trip somewhere scenic. Photograph the scenic spot at sunset, then again at sunrise. Focus only on photography for this trip.
- When you can’t be out shooting, read the books. Visit online forums. These last things are the least effective, but probably easiest to do.